Global Voices seeks an Advocacy Director to run its online freedom of expression initiatives. Global Voices Advocacy  seeks to build a global anti-censorship network of citizen media and online activists throughout the developing world that is dedicated to protecting freedom of expression and free access to information online.
The goal of the network is to raise awareness of online freedom of speech issues, and to share tools and tactics with activists and citizen media facing censorship and surveillance on different parts of the globe. The network provides support to both the Global Voices advocacy community and to others, produces and promotes educational guides about information technology advocacy, privacy and anonymity, anti-censorship and and anti- surveillance campaigning, and strategies for online organizing. In collaboration with software developers, activists, and citizen media producers, the network also aims to design and promote new and more appropriate tools to protect our rights on the Internet. Finally, the Global Voices Advocacy community focuses on building and supporting the rights of netizens around the world.
Global Voices is a global, virtual organization, supported by the paid and volunteer efforts of people on every continent. The Advocacy Director must possess a wide range of professional and personal skills to help the project reach its potential as the leading international network for the development of successful and effective citizen media projects.
The Global Voices Advocacy Director will have a unique opportunity to help a thriving international network of citizen media activists and producers to define and promote online expression. The director will be responsible for the following:
- Strategic direction of Global Voices Advocacy projects, providing vision and leadership for current projects, including the website, educational and training programs, the Threatened Voices  project, and the development of new projects. Work closely with the Global Voices core team and community to design and find support for GVA's core mission and new projects.
- Oversight of Global Voices Advocacy staff and volunteer community, and current grantee projects, including direct communication with project leaders, grant disbursement, financial oversight, and technical support
- Build and support the Global Voices advocacy volunteer community, ensuring that our efforts are always inclusive of and represent grassroots, local perspectives
- Design and maintain operational security protocols and best practices, provide training, and encourage safe information security practices for Global Voices community members
- Build and maintain relationships with other citizen media and advocacy networks, local and international partner organizations, and donors interested in supporting initiatives related to online freedom of speech.
- Support and continue to develop the Threatened Voices  project, including focus on partnerships, data gathering methodology and accuracy, and
- Ongoing outreach and engagement with the broader GV community
- Writing, speaking, and advocating for GVA's issues on the website, in forums, conferences, and workshops around the world
- Build and maintain a centralized compendium of guides, tutorials, and resources related to online freedom of expression security and activism, and write own when necessary
- Support training and networking of digital activists through workshops, guides, and individual engagement
- Draft and manage operating budgets for the program – in collaboration with Global Voices’ Managing Director and Executive Director
We seek a candidate with the following qualities:
- Deep experience in grassroots human rights, digital activism, and freedom of expression advocacy
- Strong familiarity with digital media technology, blogging, social media, and tools used to protect speech rights on the Internet
- Strong editing, writing, and public speaking skills in English
- Ability to support and manage distributed, virtual communities
- Experience in designing and running workshops for digital media activists
- Strong leadership skills
- Familiarity with open source software and open content communities
- Ability to work independently and to produce results in a timely manner
- Able to travel extensively
To work effectively with our community, we would prefer that candidates:
- Have experience living and working internationally, or have traveled extensively in the developing world
- Are active bloggers or creators of online media
- Are multilingual, with fluency in English and at least one other language
- Have experience working in diverse, multicultural environments
- Are strong communicators and facilitators
The ideal candidate must have a passionate commitment to the values and goals of Global Voices. He or she will be joining a well established core team who are dedicated to amplifying the voices of world. There is no geographic requirement associated with this position; Global Voices has no office or physical headquarters. Candidates must have access to broadband internet connectivity and be comfortable working in a wholly virtual environment. We strongly welcome candidates from outside North America and Western Europe, and encourage people currently working on the Global Voices project to apply.
The position is full-time, but should be treated as a freelance contract.
Interested candidates should send a CV and letter of interest explaining why you'd be a good candidate for the job to: adminjob AT globalvoicesonline DOT org by no later than August 13.