Global Voices seeks an Advocacy Editor to manage its online freedom of expression content. Global Voices Advocacy seeks to build a global anti-censorship network of citizen media and online activists throughout the developing world that is dedicated to protecting freedom of expression and free access to information online.
The goal of the network is to raise awareness of online freedom of speech issues, and to share tools and tactics with activists and citizen media facing censorship and surveillance on different parts of the globe. The network provides support to both the Global Voices advocacy community and to others, produces and promotes educational guides about information technology advocacy, privacy and anonymity, anti-censorship and and anti- surveillance campaigning, and strategies for online organizing. In collaboration with software developers, activists, and citizen media producers, the network also aims to design and promote new and more appropriate tools to protect our rights on the Internet. Finally, the Global Voices Advocacy community focuses on building and supporting the rights of netizens around the world.
Global Voices is a global, virtual organization, supported by the paid and volunteer efforts of people on every continent. The Advocacy Editor must possess a wide range of professional and personal skills to help the project reach its potential as the leading international network for the development of successful and effective citizen media projects.
The Global Voices Advocacy Editor will be responsible for the following:
- Daily writing and editing of content on the Global Voices Advocacy website
- Working closely with Global Voices Advocacy volunteer community members to produce content
- Working closely with Global Voices Advocacy Director to implement GV's advocacy strategies
- Daily upkeep of the The Threatened Voices website, including writing and editing content, updating cases, refining methodology, and working on technical improvements
- Working with GVA partner organizations to promote content from GVA and Threatened Voices content through mass media, social media, and other public forums
- Building and maintaining content-sharing relationships with GVA partner organizations
- Working with the broader GV community, including coordinating with GV managing and deputy editors and Lingua translation editors, to insure content is posted and translated as needed
- Managing and updating a centralized compendium of guides, tutorials, and resources related to online freedom of expression security and activism, and writing and updating GVA guides and tutorials as needed. Coordinate translation of guides into target languages.
We seek a candidate with the following qualities:
- Deep experience in grassroots human rights, digital activism, and freedom of expression advocacy
- Professional editing, writing, and public speaking skills in English
- Strong familiarity with digital media technology, blogging, social media, and tools used to protect speech rights on the Internet
- Ability to support and manage distributed, virtual communities
- Familiarity with open source software and open content communities
- Ability to work independently and to produce results in a timely manner
- Able to travel extensively
- Comfortable speaking in public forums, conferences and workshops
To work effectively with our community, we would prefer that candidates:
Have experience living and working internationally, or have traveled extensively in the developing world
- Are active bloggers or creators of online media
- Are multilingual, with fluency in English and at least one other language
- Have experience working in diverse, multicultural environments
- Are strong communicators and facilitators
The Advocacy Editor will report to the Global Voices Advocacy Director.
The ideal candidate must have a passionate commitment to the values and goals of Global Voices. He or she will be joining a well established core team who are dedicated to amplifying the voices of world. There is no geographic requirement associated with this position; Global Voices has no office or physical headquarters. Candidates must have access to broadband internet connectivity and be comfortable working in a wholly virtual environment. We strongly welcome candidates from outside North America and Western Europe, and encourage people currently working on the Global Voices project to apply.
The position is near full-time or full-time, but should be treated as a freelance contract.
Interested candidates should send a CV and letter of interest explaining why you'd be a good candidate for the job to: adminjob AT globalvoicesonline DOT org by no later than November 5.
Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue together with your web site in web explorer, might check this? IE still is the marketplace chief and a good portion of other folks will miss your wonderful writing due to this problem.
Mi comentario es en el sentido de hacerles saber de mi interés por participar con Ustedes en la defensa de la Libertad de expresión; Global Voices representa un excelente foro para la manifestación de las ideas y para la defensa de los Derechos Humanos, considero que puedo aportar un pequeño grano de arena en favor de las causas justas. Mi CV y la carta de interés la habré de preparar y en unos días más se las enviaré, sin embargo, debo de hacer la aclaración que no poseo el dominio suficiente del idioma inglés
Mi intención es participar de manera más estrecha con Ustedes
Atentamente, Jesús Torres Navarro
Espero sus comentarios al respecto de este comentario, muchas gracias
Jesus Navarro Torres
My comment is on the way to let them know of my interest in participating with you in the defense of freedom of expression Global Voices is an excellent forum for the expression of ideas and for the defense of human rights, I believe I can contribute a small grain of sand for just causes. My CV and letter of interest have I prepared and in a few days I will send, however, I do not own the clarification sufficient mastery of the English language
My intention is to engage more closely with you
Sincerely, Jesus Navarro Torres
I welcome your comments regarding this comment, thank you very much